2.19.2008

Champagne for my real friends.



I love New York City. I really can't get enough of it. I get anxiety when I leave, and butterflies when I come home. I don't mind the subways, the smell of garbage rotting on the side of the streets in mid-summer doesn't even bother me that much.  I don't care that you can't smoke in bars anymore, and the fact that everything is expensive is worth overlooking for all the amazing things about this damn city. 


But the ONE thing I HATE about New York is getting reservations. There are so many goddamn restaurants, why is it that the ones I want to go to either have a 4 month waiting list or a 2 hour wait? "Shall I take your name?" NO I DO NOT WANT TO WAIT OUTSIDE OF PUBLIC FOR AN HOUR ON A SUNDAY IN FEBRUARY FOR AN OVERPRICED BRUNCH. 


But, when I heard about Bobo , I sucked it up, made reservations 3 weeks in advanced, and awaited the day when I could finally eat there. 


When you arrive at Bobo, keep your eyes on the ground, because the entrance is basement level and there is no sign or indication that its the said restaurant.  But once you enter inside, the warm lighting at the bar level, and the light jazz music calms you, and you can put away your Valium.  After you give your name, and the hostess takes your coat, you walk upstairs to the dining area with about 10 tables that looks like the house you grew up in, if you grew up on the upper west side or Chestnut Hill, PA.  The walls are cornflower blue and littered with old black and white photographs.  There's a whole wall of a honey-comb shaped book shelf, filled with books and odds and ends.  I sat next to the fireplace (and Orlando Bloom), which had candles burning in it and who's mantle held pictures of what looks like old family members.  Essentially, the "dining room" is exactly like a dining room you'd find in a brown stone. 


Aside from the gorgeous decor, the staff was wonderful and welcoming; I, of course, asked a million and one questions when it came to wine and food, and our waitress answered with genuine interest and knowledge.  She helped me choose a wine, which ended up being a Bordeaux Blanc, light, crisp and citrus-y, with "floral notes" as she described.  


For appetizers, I had a Jarmon Serrano (Serrano Ham) salad with bitter greens and Quince spread on toast.  Cobe, whom I was dining with, had the mushroom risotto, which was by far the most fantastic risotto I've ever tried; he's still talking about it.  For entree's, I had the ricotta ravioli with winter vegetables (ie: mushrooms) and Cobe had the Sea Bass with blood oranges and endive.  Both of us were in awe at how amazing the meal was.  I'm no food critic but the Ravioli was rich and buttery and absolutely delicious- not for one on weight watchers, thats for sure. We finished off the meal with champagne and a dessert of mango/papaya carpaccio and coconut sorbet. 


Overall, definitely one of the most pleasant dining experiences I've ever had in New York.  The name, which stands for Bohemian and Bourgeoisie, definitely lives up to it giving you both a relaxed and beautiful dining environment with delicious food. 

No comments: